Friday 24 June 2016

The Journey to Financial Independence -- Recommended Books for Improving Financial Literacy

In 2006, I started my journey to financial independence. I started by trying out 2 business books from National Bookstore. You see, I really never loved reading, so by buying these 2 books, I engaged myself in a challenge. It was a good thing that these books were easy to read and understand. It eventually boosted my confidence in reading and my quest for further learning.

These are the books I recommend to first-time investors, especially those who are not fond of reading. These are affordable too, so in case reading is really not for you, these won’t cost you much.
Wealth within your Reach (Pera Mo, Palaguin Mo!) by Francisco J. Colayco
This book provides an easy-to-understand presentation of the fundamentals of saving and investing in both English and Tagalog. It will make you realize that everyone can reach financial independence at any income level.




Making Your Money Work (Pera Mo, Palaguin Mo! 2) by Francisco J. Colayco
This book gives you the first steps needed to start saving and investing. It provides an easy guide on how and where to invest your savings to make your money work for you.



Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
This book dispels the myth that you need a high-paying job to become rich. It teaches the basics of money--something that, like it or not, is a crucial part of our daily lives--that form the foundation for financial success.



The Cashflow Quadrant by Robert Kiyosaki
This second book in the Rich Dad Series introduces the CASHFLOW Quadrant and explains how the shift from Industrial Age thinking to today’s Information Age can change your life. 


I can say that Francisco Colayco got some concepts from Robert Kiyosaki. But what’s good with Francisco Colayco's approach is that, he was able to apply the concepts in local setting. The examples he gave are applicable and available in the Philippines, unlike in Robert Kiyosaki’s books wherein examples are based on U.S. setting. I’d still recommend Robert Kiyosaki books, though, because of the principles he taught.

So what were my first two business books? Wealth within your Reach and Rich Dad, Poor Dad. I’m glad I grabbed both books, I got the best of both worlds! :)

Additional Notes from MYPG:
This post is a "Throwback Thursday" entry, a rehashed version of a blog post I did in August 2011. Although investment instruments have become more accessible now (and with more options available), the basics for financial literacy remain the same. It's never too early (and never too late) to learn proper money management, improve financial literacy and get introduced to various legit investments. With the help of social networking, I hope that this entry will reach a wider audience this time (students, first-time employees, long-time employees, OFWs, and people who are already getting frustrated with their finances). ,

No comments:

Post a Comment